Tuesday, March 29, 2011

How do I get my ex-tenant to pay for damages?

I was owner financing a home to a woman and she was evicted due to breech of contract (not keeping insurance on the property). She had been warned 3 months prior to the eviction that she must get and keep insurance or else. I ended up having to evict her and she was mad to say the least. She destroyed the house. She tore down ceiling tiles, there was writing and holes all over the walls, she stole the stove, air conditioning unit, lighting fixtures and the wood laminate flooring in the living room! She left trash all over the inside and outside of the house. It is a disgusting mess and will cost me thousands to repair and replace it all. What can I do to get her to pay? Can I press criminal charges for the theft of property? I know I can take her to small claims court, but is there anything else I can try before I take it to court? I can't even resell the house in it's current condition-it's not livable.

No comments:

Post a Comment