Friday, April 1, 2011

Men what do you think when women use Ms. instead of?

What on earth does using Miss or Mrs or Ms have to do with affirmative action? But since that's the only question I can really see in all this verbiage, I'll answer it: I prefer Miss and Mrs to Ms. Ms always seems a little insecure to me - "oh noes, someone may figure out that I'm single/married!" Titles like that were historically a sign of respect, not a sign that men view you as property or a sign that they all wanted you to declare your marital status so they could decide whether or not to try and get in your pants. The eldest unmarried daughter was Miss (last name), all her unmarried sisters were Miss (first name), and once they married they were given the title Mrs, meaning "Mistress", master-ess. It was a sign of respect and a way to acknowledge their position in society. Nothing more. Therefore I see no reason why I should not use those titles myself. I am proud to be a Mrs and I get so tired of things arriving in the mail for me with the title Ms, as if it's the default title that all women prefer. I don't like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment